Thursday, February 1, 2018

Adios

Farewell Santa Fe.  This is my last full day in New Mexico, I'm 90% packed and ready to embark.  There has been much time to think and meditate here.  Whenever I have been at the casita I have been by myself.  That translates to many dinners alone.  No post-meal conversations.  No discussions about current events or the state of the world.  There is a small TV here, but I discipline myself to never turn it on before Jeopardy at six, then mute it for Wheel of Fortune, then off.  I came to Santa Fe to write, be in a different physical space, experience the museums and the dryscape.

I am not sad to go.  Being away for a month was an excellent reminder of how much time I spend with my children.  Hanging out with my offspring as adults is more relaxed and enjoyable than when they were children.  That was work.  This is pleasure.  I also miss my grandson, who will be taller, more verbal and just stinkin' adorable upon my return.  I have not gone this long in his 2+ years without seeing him.  It seems like every 10 days or so I find myself wandering up I25 to pay a visit to this little one and the people who birthed him.  

My best friend of almost 40 years once told me that a good sojourn has three components:
  1. Anticipation
  2. Enjoyment in the moment
  3. Happy to return home
My trip has certainly held these tenets.  While a perusal of my blog post may make it seem that it has been a bit hellish here, the truth is that my happiness lives in my heart.  I try not to let outside negative energy affect my mood or inner serenity. (stop watching the news)  I have my personal formula for maintaining a positive outlook on life.  Do not mistake my cheeriness for lack of challenge or pain.  That is the human condition.

Every day I read Al-Anon literature.  I attend meetings two or three times per week.  This is my spiritual re-balance.  Every day I do something physical.  Swim, gym, NIA, Pilates, etc.  On the days when my body says NO - I almost listen.  I'll still take a walk or just ride the exercise bike at the gym.  Motion is the lotion to keep these RA joints healthy.  This is my physical practice.  Every day I take a few quiet moments to meditate.  It can be to a guided meditation or music on my IPod, walking a labyrinth, reposing in the steam room with a wet cold towel over my eyes.  This is my emotional wellness.  Every day I put pen to paper, hands on keyboard.  If I write crap, so be it.  If I am distracted or unable to create, so be it.  This is my writing discipline.  Every day, no matter what the weather, I go outside.  It can be a short walk or a hike.  It can be sitting in a chair and reading.  Hanging out at the hot springs, dining al fresco with a friend.  This is my honoring of Mother Nature.  Finally, everyday I read or enjoy some form of art.  Art and reading and listening to music of all genres allows me to see or hear how others decipher the world, and I am interesting in that purview.  It keeps my own inspiration to create in high gear.
 
Tomorrow some of these daily practices may not happen.  I have a 4.5 hour drive to Colorado. Springs. So even though I proclaim every day, sometimes that is in spirit more than actuality.  I can listen to Al-Anon podcast.  I'll do morning stretches before I begin and at every rest stop.  I'll let my mind wander and take me into the depths of my soul in the places where there is poor radio reception.  Perhaps I will let the drive itself be my moving meditation.  I'll write in my head as I am driving and hope that a kernel or two will be remembered when I stop, grab my pad and scribble.  The drive is quite beautiful, so even though I am not outside in nature I will view mountains and sagebrush as the landscape changes with each mile.  Finally I will listen to music along the way and just be.  Sit and enjoy the ride.  

When I press publish today, I will put away my laptop till I need it in Colorado.  First stop - seeing my youngest daughter.  Spending a night or two in my former town, where the bulk of raising my three occurred.  Then I'm up to south suburban Denver to be with my middle daughter. I'll be 'home' for a few days before I venture up The Valley Highway* to NoCo* to see my son, his wife and my grandson.  Then the trifecta of joy will be complete.

Time to Pack

Jane

* Valley Highway is an old term for I25
*NoCo = Northern Colorado

2 comments:

Gail D said...

Have you ever been to Montezuma Hot Springs over in Las Vegas? It's a nice stop on the way home. It's right on the river near the campus of the Armand Hammer World College

Susan said...

The trifecta of joy...so well said...sounds like the start of good poem. :) susan

Primavera Falso

I wrote this poem in the spring of 2019.  I remember it today as I wake up to the lightest dusting and cloudy skies.   Primavera Falso Green...