Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Hot Eye

Ojo Caliente.  Hot Eye.  Yesterday's foray was to Ojo Caliente, a hot springs that has been on my must see list for as long as I can remember.  No more excuses since it is only 50 miles and an hour or so away from the casita.  Once again my ride took me north through Espanola, some pueblos/reservations and beautiful landscape.  Except for Espanola.  That is not a picturesque town.

The springs were empty, and I was thankful that I arrived early.  I had the whole place to myself for about the first two hours.  The morning was chilly so I took that time to write.  And write I did.  Lovely spa-like music softly playing on the outdoor speakers, facing the sunshine in my bathing suit and bathrobe, hat to keep the warmth in and hobo gloves to keep my hands workable.  I frequent hot springs often, and I feel I have the gear down to a science.  Even in winter I might need sunscreen, I have ear plugs in case I want to dunk under, goggles if there is a long enough stretch to do some laps.  I keep a hot springs bag packed in my car at all times.  Even when I go to clothing optional places, I still take a suit.  Rules change, too many little kids... anything can happen.

Yesterday was bathing suits required.  The only problem with that is its colder to lay out in a wet bather*, than have the sun dry your skin.  The other interesting tidbit was that most springs are cell phone free zones.  Not this one.  Of course when people are parading around au natural, the venue has a responsibility to enforce no photos, no phones to protect the privacy of the guests.  When bathing suits are required and phones are allowed however, the experience is changed.

While I did not hear any phones ringing, the selfie generation was out in full bloom as the place became more busy.  Cell phones were placed on the edges of the pools and owners were admonishing strangers not to get their phones wet.  While I would never purposely damage someone else's property, I also feel it is not my responsibility to look after other peoples electronics if they choose to have them around water.  It was also off-putting to see people chatting to themselves.  For me the hot springs is a place to leave the distractions of the outside world behind.  A few short hours of being unplugged and unavailable is wonderful to replenish my spirit.  Life has taught me that when I return to my car and power up my phone all the messages, texts, FB post, etc. are there.  Nothing disappeared into the ether.  It has just been delayed.

Ojo, as the locals say, offers a mud bath opportunity.  It is in a little section and a spouting fountain of liquid mud invites me to slather myself brown.  The mud is cold, and the instructions encourage me to sit on a chair and allow the sludge to air dry.  The coolness wanes as the mud evaporates, then starts to dry, and finally kind of hardens and begins to crack on my skin.  This must be curative, because I know I look silly.  But so does everyone in the area.  There is a pool to dunk into and start the process of washing the liquid dirt off my skin.  It is warm and kind of milky in texture, though not in color.  The reddish brown hue precludes me from seeing the bottom, so I gingerly take the steps as a visit to the ER is never in my plans.  The large tub is actually shallow and feels really good to hang out in.  After a while, I emerge and hit the showers a few steps away.  Yes it is January in the southwest, where it is usually cold and I am showering outside with no ill effects.  Yummy.

Since there are eight pools total, I do try them all.  One is a silent soda springs in a lean-to.  I am the only person in there and I float on my back for a long while.  There is also a lithium pool - that demands my attention!  Lithium is a good pain reliever for my rheumatoid arthritis, so I take full advantage.  There is a cold plunge pool, where I could swim laps if I wanted to, but I don't want to.  I am digging the heat today and my bones are a bit achy.  No need to subject my body to discomfort.  The arsenic tub is the hottest and the writer in my ruminates about the irony and metaphor of this.  Mmm.

My happy spot here at Ojo is the eucalyptus steam room.  I make several trips to this hot, steamy chamber.  In Colorado my best meditation takes place in the steam bath, so I indulge in a short relaxing 'sit' for my mental health.  There is also a dry sauna, and since everything is included in the admission price (about twenty-six bucks) I go in there as well.  There is a young man with dreadlocks sitting on the top bench in the most relaxed lotus pose I have ever seen.  I long for the days when my hips behaved like that!  When I sit cross-legged I have wings that splay upwards.

How much relaxation can I take?  I want to drive back in daylight, so I hit the showers where there are lovely products to refresh me.  While in the locker room there are millennials on their damn phones.  Another reason to disallow them - but especially in a place where nudity is expected.  Privacy people.

My decision to come back as the sun is setting is richly rewarded.  For a long stretch of the highway I have the full moon rising on my left, and the sun setting on my right.  They are perfectly aligned and I have the sensation of being smack dab in the middle of the two most beautiful celestial forces of nature.



Time to Write,

Jane

*bather, Aussie slang for bathing suit.




No comments:

Primavera Falso

I wrote this poem in the spring of 2019.  I remember it today as I wake up to the lightest dusting and cloudy skies.   Primavera Falso Green...