Wednesday, August 3, 2022

It's Trivial!

Sometime in March, as my trip to the Jersey Shore was on the horizon, my brother asked me if I would like to attend the inaugural Avon by the Sea trivia contest.  Harry bought five tickets at the local library.  This was not an out of the way errand for my brother.  The Carnegie style library, built with a $5,000 donation from Andrew himself, is a whopping four blocks from my brother's home.  Pay attention - that might be a question!  And Harry visits the book house every day to print puzzles and schmooze with Sheila, one of two librarians in a small quaint building.  The tickets were for Harry and his wife, Dori, me, and their neighbors Tom and Gloria.  But teams of five were disallowed, leaving the three Hillson's on their own, and the neighbors to fend for themselves.  

As we got closer a surprise prize was revealed - Best Team Name.  I tossed a few out to Harry and he didn't reply, or didn't see them, or just didn't care to comment.  A few days before the event, Harry revealed his choices to Dori and me:

 The CO-NJ ecturers / The CO- NJ oiners / Greta Garbo - Avon to be alone

While witty in a Harry kind of way, they were obscure and confusing.  Here is what I tossed back to my brother:

Babes, Bros and Bards of Avon / Brain Waves / Brains of Sand

Jeopardy Rejects / Alibis of Avon / The Sandtastics

Harry and Dori whittled it down to two choices, and in a non-unanimous vote we decided on Brains of Sand.  Cute and geographically correct, if you will.  Brains of Sand didn't win the best name prize, which was OK by me, because it was a round of drinks for the teammates, and I do not drink.

In preparation for the casual competition, I read about Avon on the internet.  Wiki is so helpful and much less cumbersome than the Encyclopedia Britannica.  Accuracy, after all is overrated.  When I arrived in Avon on June first, I felt like Harriet the Spy, looking for clues in street names and business signs.  I read the faded bronze plaque on the drawbridge.  I studied a pictorial little edition about the history of Avon by the Sea.  I tried memorizing important dates like when Avon was founded (by white men, don't get me started), and the Avon Inn fire.  I kind of remembered that Batchelor was the founder, and there may have been a Baptist camp here as well.  But I didn't catch the part about this guy growing tobacco or it just wasn't mentioned in the lighthearted little tome.  That last wacky fact about tobacky was not known to the BOS (Brains of Sand), and when the question appeared we got it wrong.  I learned that The Columns, where trivia night was held, had 74 columns in the building, but alas, that was not asked.  All told BOS came in seventh out of maybe 18 or 19 teams.  It was hard to keep interested after a long night and knowing we didn't stand a chance.  But I will say our ranking isn't bad for three non-native Avonians, one of whom (me) lives 1800 miles from the shore.

I did manage to win a door prize.  If you know me, you know I have that kind of magic.  I was giddy to win something that night, and when the prize announced was a $50.00 gift certificate to Casa Grande,  I thought woo-hoo!  Huevo Rancheros for the Hillson's  but, I quickly learned that Casa Grande is a liquor store and sheepishly handed over the loot over to Dori.  I knew she'd put it to good use.  Kind of comical that the visiting teetotaling Bard of Avon won the prize to imbibe.  Oh well.  There was also a 50/50.  This is when participants buy raffle tickets, and half the take goes to the organization and the other half to one lucky winner. The amount raised that night was $700.00, so one trivia buff would be lucky to receive 350 bucks if their ticket was picked.  As if politicians don't have their hands in everyone's pocket as it is, the winner was the mayor of Avon.  Does that sound fishy to you?

My brother also won a seemingly random pop-up trivia question, but a bit of backstory is needed here before I reveal the punchline.  Avon has an annual 5K the first Saturday in June to benefit the local rescue squad.  Obviously this was cancelled in 2020 and methinks (how's that for a Bard of Avon word?) 2021 as well.  Harry mentioned this local event in April, and I signed myself up early so I would be sure to get the T-shirt.  If you haven't bought a souvenir T lately, allow me to tell you they are pricey.  Here in Avon, on the boardwalk, T's are $36.00 with a few at 20% off that outrageous amount.  I was on the right track when I put 2 and 2 together  - here is my math.  Twenty-five dollars to sign up for the race, plus getting my souvenir T, plus acting like a local to prevent me from shopping, and the entry fee going to a good cause.  All good stuff in my book.

On the day of the race, I walked down the steps of the condo, (I mention this because steps have been my nemesis lately) and I strolled all of 3/4's of a block to the starting point.  Ocean Avenue was closed to car traffic, and I was able to stand aimlessly in the middle of the street waiting for Harry and Dori.  There was a man with a mic, and it doesn't take an ex-event planner to figure out he might be in charge.  I said good morning and he said good morning, and then he asked all the runners and walkers that were on the sidewalks and boardwalks to assemble in the street.  And then he thanked me for being among the first to be compliant, which was definitely a first for me.  I said something to him about having had some experience herding cats, and then Harry and Dori came, and the bagpiper started walking and wailing and we were off.  I, of course, was a walker.  Maybe an ambler at best.  Harry and Dori went ahead of me and were at the finish line waiting for me.  I did not win the award for slowest walker, (there wasn't one) and I finished in 1:05 which for me at 63, with rheumatoid arthritis and waterfall knees* is a win!


    At least I finished!

Now back to my first days here.  On one of my boardwalk strolls with my brother he pointed at the Lifeguard Headquarters, a two-story hut on the west side of the boardwalk, at the very end of Sylvania Ave.  Which means that every time Harry walks to the beach or drives down to Ocean Avenue he sees this white cedar structure.  Harry told me that this little building is the only place on the boardwalk he has not been to, by which I took to me in to.  But now that I think of it, I doubt he's been in the few beach badge selling stations, inside the ladies bathrooms, or under the boardwalk like The Drifters liked to sing about.



I had also come to learn that the guy with the microphone on 5K day was affectionately known as Mr. Avon.  Tim Gallagher is a former borough administrator and has some sort of beachy job these days where he can show up to work shirtless, wearing red shorts.  I saw him quite a few times but wanted to time my approach to be closer to Trivia Night.  My opportunity came on the Monday before the big night at the Columns.  The Hillsons snuck in an extra beach day before needing to take our sister to Trenton that afternoon for her afternoon flight home.  We were down by the shoreline and who walks by in his very casual uniform clutching a radio?  That's right - Tim G.  I reintroduced myself, and introduced my sister to be polite, and grilled him a bit about the upcoming evening of festivities.  Oh?  Tim himself is the emcee?  Oh?  Tim will be holding the mic again?  Oh?  Tim knows my brother, all right.  And that is when I went in for the ask and Tim graciously obliged.

Remember the pop-up prize Harry won at Trivia Night?  Well, technically Dori won, but nonetheless how would it come to be that the emcee would ask the following 'trivia'  question between rounds  "What is Harry Hillson's middle name?".  Only three people besides the MC knew this answer, and I wasn't vying for the reward that Mr. Tim Gallagher announced in the moments before posing the query.  And Tim only knew because...  well, that would be me and my magic. The day before, on the beach, I had asked Tim to insert this oddball question into trivia night, and he graciously complied.  Only Mr. Avon and I would know that Harry would have a little wish come true.

The prize for my brother knowing his own middle name was a tour of the lifeguard hut.  It is a good thing I had a mask on, because I am pretty sure I was smirking underneath it.  Dori was waving her hands and Harry looked like he was in shock, and I was trying to keep a straight half a face.  Dori went up and got the prize and Harry turned to me and said that it had to have been four or five years ago that he had told Tim he wanted to see the lifeguard hut and wow!!  - he couldn't believe Tim remembered that and engineered this surprise.  That word - engineered - is my word - I was so busy trying not to give myself, my mischief and my magic making abilities away, I cannot remember exactly what was said.

I didn't burst my brother's bubble.  And as far as I know he hasn't claimed his prize yet.  We all like to feel special and I may have helped that along a wee bit for my bro, but does it matter?  And Harry - if you are reading this blog, now you know how much I love you!

 


                                            Mr. Avon - Tim Gallagher.  My sidekick in antics!




                                                   Jane Hillson Aiello and Harry Hillson
                                                                         June, 2022

* Waterfall knees - the aftermath of hiking waterfall in upstate NY. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I laughed. Did you ever tell Harry? I’d love to burst his bubble!!!

Primavera Falso

I wrote this poem in the spring of 2019.  I remember it today as I wake up to the lightest dusting and cloudy skies.   Primavera Falso Green...