Saturday, June 4, 2022

Shore Life is Good!

Like many of my friends, I have enjoyed a few beach vacations over the years.  My family vacationed in Florida when I was in fourth grade.  We stayed on Collins Avenue in Miami Beach at the Sans Souci Hotel.  There are impressionable moments that I carry with me - this is one.  Santa stood on a corner, under a palm tree, wearing red velvet shorts.  Even though we are Jewish, I never forgot that incongruent vision; no sleigh, no snow, just ho-ho-ho!  At twelve we wound our way from Mexico City to Acapulco.  As in Florida beach days were requisite - now I had seen both the Atlantic and the Pacific Oceans.  And though we lived close to The Rockaways on Long Island Sound and Asbury Park, New Jersey, I don't recall any forays to shorelines beside the two aforementioned family trips.

I honeymooned in Italy one year past the actual wedding day.  My wusband and I swam at the Isle of Capri and Taormina in Sicily.  Warm, calm Mediterranean waters.  Of course, when one is young and lovestruck a bottle of Aquafina seems idyllic.  Nonetheless I am grateful for this European vacation celebrating what was supposed to be a lifetime of bliss.  I also had no idea that the next 40 years would not afford a return visit.  

I've been to Jamaica where it rained most of the time.  The Bahamas where I conceived my second child.  We flew there in a Volkswagen with wings, piloted by a friend who barely had a license to fly.  While it was great to spy fish from the air, because of how low we flew over the waters from Palm Beach, it was also a bit terrifying.   In my ex's and my epic adventure of 1987, we saw much of the Pacific coastline from Seattle to San Francisco and the Atlantic from Florida to Maine.  We also drove out to the Keys, and that was a most memorable leg of our year-long road trip.

What I am saying is this; every ocean vacation I have ever had involved rainy days and day trips inland, and basically little time at the actual beach!  This year, I decided to do something about that.  My brother lives in a laid back beach enclave called Avon by the Sea.  I put it upon him to put feelers out for a reasonably priced beach rental.  I had looked on Airbnb and every inquiry was answered with "That's not the price".  So why was it on the website?  I don't know, and all I need to remind myself of is that is what led me to find a private party to rent from.  So, Harry asked around and found me a pretty sweet rental for the month of June.

When I saw the pics and the address (Ocean Avenue) I knew I was about as close to the sand as one can get.  That didn't stop my cousin from commenting how it would be nice if I were closer, and there are some places right on the beach.  I don't respond to these comments because I know that 100 steps to the strand is much closer than anywhere in Colorado is to an ocean.  About 1,000 miles to the Pacific and almost twice that to the Atlantic to be imprecise.  So really, how limiting is a car park and a beach road before I can touch my toes to the sand?


                                                         The view from my balcony


The place is lovely.  Well appointed, comfy bed, a balcony with a bird's eye view of the surf.  To the north is Bradley Beach and a scenic walkway called the Promenade.  Nice paver stones on the path above the sand.  There are vintage photos attached to the railings that allow my imagination to wander backwards.  North of that is Asbury Park, and in past years my brother and I have walked there.  I'm only four days into my stay - give me time!  Just mere steps to the south is the boardwalk that goes the entire stretch of Avon.  There are many benches to sit on and watch the water and wonder.  There are a few pavilions to take a break from the sun.  There is a playground on the beach for kiddos.  There is even an outdoor town pool that I can walk to from my condo. The boardwalk ends at a drawbridge that spans the Shark River.  I hope that name is just for dramatic effect, and not that it is actually shark infested.  Which just reminded me as I typed, that I have been to the Rockaways.  It was shortly after the movie Jaws came out and I wasn't keen on going in the water.  No worries about that here yet - the ocean temp is just sixty-five not so balmy degrees.

I am walking distance from a few shops and a snack bar.  I can stroll up a westward facing street and visit my brother and his wife.  Dori graciously picked me up at the northernmost rest stop of the Garden State Parkway.  I chuckled when I saw the sign "James Gandolfini Rest Area".  The man (rest his soul) played a mafioso on The Sopranos, so to me a rest stop was a great play on words.  Dori said the name literally just changed in the week since she had made this trip for other reasons.  None as joyful as picking up her sister-in-law, that's me, and delivering me to the beach!

Today is a 5K Walk/Run that benefits the Avon First Aid & Safety Squad.  This is old hat for Harry who used to be a jogger; he even ran the New York City Marathon in 1987.  I have only participated in two official walks to raise money for worthy causes.  Both were in Colorado Springs - one at the Air Force Academy and the other through Garden of the Gods.  Two not so shabby views!  Today's route is unbeknownst to me - I only know that the starting point is right outside the condo.  Harry and I picked up our shirts and number bibs on Thursday night in a light drizzle at the rescue station.  (Since Dori was cooking dinner, we got hers as well!)  I had to google bib placement as I only know how to attach bibs to infants.  It seems like the front is protocol.  I debated about wearing the souvenir T-shirt and decided that to act like a local, I needed to don that today.  Harry and Dori both said it was the nicest T-shirt ever, so I am feeling pretty lucky.

Today is a beautiful June day.  The sun is shining, and I as close to the action as one can get.  And by action I mean the beach and the starting line.  I will probably venture out onto the sand today after my walk.  I am sun screened and have a hat for the 5K.  I am with my older brother and his lovely wife who has been my sister-in-law for many years.  I hear there is a giveaway at the end.  My fingers are crossed for two reasons; I will finish the 3.2 miles with no pain, and I will win something.  I am lucky like that.  In truth, I am just lucky to be at the beach right now and for the next 26 days.  Ah, life is good.




Can't get any closer than this!


                                                             Me and my bro!

  

PS - I have walked the race.  Slow and steady is my mantra!  I ogled beautiful homes, was cheered on by strangers and made it to the finish line.  Alas, I didn't win any prizes.  But there were complimentary bananas and bagels.  IMO?  A great after walk snack to enjoy while watching beachgoers schelp their umbrellas and chairs and coolers onto the beach.  That is my next activity - after Aleve and ice for my knees!  Life is still good if a bit creaky!




No comments:

Primavera Falso

I wrote this poem in the spring of 2019.  I remember it today as I wake up to the lightest dusting and cloudy skies.   Primavera Falso Green...