Thursday, June 9, 2022

I TrY

In December of 2006, I took the leap of fitness and joined the YMCA in Colorado Springs.  I had been a guest a few times in the previous months; trying a yoga class and enjoying the pool.  I was unhealthy both emotionally and physically.  In the latter half of my forties, I knew I had to try something.

I began my exercise journey with the aforementioned activities.  I bought a mat and went to yoga classes.  This was an eye-opening lesson in not knowing what I did not know.  I attempted the poses, picked-up on the Sanskrit and became a dedicated practitioner.  I had three kids at home, was in an unhappy marriage and had a stressful job.  The one hour increments several times per week of relaxing, breathing and contorting were good for my psyche and soul.  The yoga teachers seemed so wise with their sayings and mantras and end of class life lessons.  The light in me honors the light in you.  The only constant is change.  The teacher keeps coming until the student learns.  Savasana was the most calming and uplifting asana, and I needed it more than I even knew.

The other godsend was the pool.  I had been a little mermaid as a kid.  A good swimmer, fearless really, in the five-acre sand bottom pool at Idlewild Swim Club.  I dove off the 10 ft. board as if it were the most natural thing in the world.  In 2006, I could swim about three laps before I thought my heart would fail.  Now I swim 2/3 of a mile twice per week at the Recreation Center right up the road.  

When I tried living in Fort Collins in 2014, after the fire, after I sold my house, after the kids flew my nest, I joined a posh fitness club.  There were no Y's up in FoCo and exercise had become an almost daily habit in those ensuing years.  Over the years I had added mat Pilates and Nia (dance) to my repertoire.  I would lift weights or go on a treadmill or bike if there were no classes at the time I was able to be at the club.  I guess I could call myself a regular gym rat.  Sure, I had lost weight, but that wasn't the best benefit.  I grew into a more emotionally regulated human being.  I lost my anger button, gained compassion and felt better all around.  But there was something about the everydayness of the YMCA that I missed.  But I will never complain about having a year-round outdoor pool at that fancy place!

When I settled into the south suburbs of Denver, I was happy to learn that the Y was less than three miles to the west.  I resumed my membership and also treated myself to a punch card at the Goodson Recreation Center.  Now I was really committed!  Two gyms equidistant from my place with myriad offering and walking trails that were accessible from their car parks!

For five years this arrangement worked well.  If I visited Colorado Springs, I could go to my former favorite Y downtown.  I had spent many a Friday night during my divorce swimming laps in that pool, and it felt like home to me.  I had choices for my fitness regimen and rarely missed a day.  Then the world changed in spring of 2020.  I maintained my Y membership but couldn't justify the monthly expense and not be allowed to attend.  They offered a virtual alternative, and I happily took this option.

I began in earnest to construct a home regimen.  I figured out how to cast my computer screen to my TV.  I joined NiaTV and kept my dance practice going.  A few years back when Nia offered this virtual service I poo-pooed the idea.  Who would want to dance in their lonely living room, solo to the telly.  Things change and the correct answer became - ME!  The online Y offered yoga several times per week, and I knew the teacher from days of yore, so it felt familiar.  Like so many of us in the early days of the pandemic, I thought, surely this cannot last too long.

Fast forward to June 2022.  I have not rejoined the YMCA as a full-fledged in-person member.  They recently upped the online fee from $9.95 to $12.95, but to their credit boosted their offerings as well.  I try to get to the Rec Center pool twice weekly.  I like that this facility has a dedicated locker room for the swimmers.  That means less folks to mingle with while doing what one does in a locker room.  I still get to yoga, albeit in my living room, or wherever I may be, a few times per month.  With the warmer weather and traveling, walking is also a great activity.  Even if my bone on bone knees disagree. 

Back in 2006 when I was a fledgling yogi, when I heard those sage saying over and over: The light in me honors the light in you.  The only constant is change.  The teacher keeps coming until the student learns... I had no idea how much I would come to embrace those mantras during these tough times.  I cannot control the world, the pandemic, gun violence.  But I do know this.  Even if the world is not OK - I can still be OK.  Or at least I can trY.




Time to Write,

Jane

 

  

 


No comments:

Primavera Falso

I wrote this poem in the spring of 2019.  I remember it today as I wake up to the lightest dusting and cloudy skies.   Primavera Falso Green...