Sunday, September 29, 2019

Impeachment

The following poem was generated in a workshop Saturday.  The challenge was to write an epistolary poem and a few choices of how to approach the task were offered.  For the uninitiated here is the definition per Poets.org.  Don't feel bad - I didn't know any of this before noon yesterday.

Epistolary poems, from the Latin "epistula" for "letter," are, quite literally, poems that read as letters. As poems of direct address, they can be intimate and colloquial or formal and measured. The subject matter can range from philosophical investigation to a declaration of love to a list of errands, and epistles can take any form, from heroic couplets to free verse. 

I chose to write to an abstraction, using sensory details.  I also decided to try the long skinny format.  Here is my poem.

Dear Impeachment,
I promised not to
think about you
today, in daylight
but the sweetness
of your word
tastes like cotton
candy on my tongue
the forest was dark
until your rays
broke the canopy
revealing blue skies
the cage of my 
heart unlocks
with your rattling
key of truth
I told myself
not to utter your
name, write poetry
instead, but
I am a child
on a swing
pumping my legs
jumping off into
gravel and gratitude
your word is
a bird set free
feral cats no
longer protect you
Veritas stands tall
on the shoulders
of democracy
and I rejoice 
in the future




No comments:

Primavera Falso

I wrote this poem in the spring of 2019.  I remember it today as I wake up to the lightest dusting and cloudy skies.   Primavera Falso Green...