Thursday, September 6, 2018

Say Goodbye to Summer

I do not want to say Goodbye - to summer.  How is it possible that it is almost the second weekend of September?  Where did my lazy days of summer sizzle away to?  This season has been a hot one in South Suburban Denver.  Seems to me it started in May with daytime temps in the 90's.  June persisted  with the mercury hovering near 100.  July continued the trend, August endured. It was relentless.  Now it is September and our days are cooler and a bit cloudier.  

One of my favorite perks of apartment living is having a nice pool at my doorstep; without any of the work, no degree in chemistry needed to maintain water clarity, no skimming, no unwanted dead critters in the basket... In winter the best benefit is no shoveling!  I've jointly owned two houses in my lifetime.  One in Nanuet, New York and one in Colorado Springs, Colorado.  Personally I think home ownership is overrated.  Who needs a hobby when you have a house?  There is always something to do when a homeowner.  Lawn mowing, edging, weeding.  Painting inside or out.  Cleaning gutters, raking leaves.  Snow removal, blowing out sprinklers.  The list is infinite and I am so happy to be free from every single one of those burdens.

Back to the pool.  I did manage to sneak in two days of sunshine and soaking over Labor Day Weekend.  I had been invited to a friend's cabin in the high country, but circumstances on her end coupled with my reticence to travel on any roads that began with the letter "I" over a holiday weekend changed my mind.  So I stayed home and danced Nia and Zumba instead.   I even went to a delightful early morning yoga on Sunday.  I hit an Al-Anon meeting and celebrated my friend's 60th birthday with her in the afternoon.  The surprise may not have manifested, but it was a good party and a relaxing weekend.

On Monday I broke my vow of no-driving on the Interstate and went to see my daughter.  She and my new grandbaby are the main reasons I missed out on about a month of pool time.  I spent about 30 days with my kid before, during and after the birth.  And while being a birth coach, helping with housework and shopping can be rewarding experiences and helpful to the new mom - they did nothing to maintain my tan.  Now I am sliding back into my own groove and the pool is chilly from the low night temps and any day I expect the dreaded grey cover to appear.

I'm in love with this pool.  It is deep enough to dive into, long enough to almost swim a good lap.  In the first days of summer it is crowded with screaming kids and admonishing grandparents.  As summer continues the novelty wears off and just a few die-hards such as myself are there in the blazing heat.  I prefer to stay under the shade of the few leafy trees, but this time of year, I can be out in the sunshine.  I wear sunscreen and a hat.  I am a responsible sun-goddess.

The pattern of afternoon thunderstorms has made a reappearance, so if I am to brave frigid waters I will have to do it early tomorrow morning.  That cuts into my writing and exercise time, so as a grown-up I will be forced to make responsible decisions.  Making decisions is right up there with owning a house.  Can't I just do what I want, when I want?

I like when the universe decides for me.  Or the HOA or even the pool guy.  If I go out in the morning, and it is sunny and warm enough, I will take that dip.  If the pool is covered, or the gate is locked, I will know my dog days of summer are gone.  I can hold onto my bikini lines and memories of a really good summer.  Full of bathing beauties and babies.  Full of sunscreen and diaper crème.  Replete with lounge chairs and laundry.laundry.

I will give my suits a good end of summer wash, pack them away for a tropical vacation or the next season of summertime.  I'll keep my hats at hand, because I wear them year-round during outdoor activities.  I'll resort to indoor laps at the YMCA or Rec Center.  I'll warm up in the steam bath after a good workout.  This is one thing I give up when it is hot, so I relish the reemerging of sweat.

I'll switch my closet over, put the snow brush back into the trunk.  Sweaters may come out, but I am not drinking pumpkin lattes.  That is never going to happen.  Neither are boots. Towels with golden leaves won't be hung in my kitchen.  I'll sneak a peak at my tush in the mirror after a shower.  It won't be a cellulite inspection.  Rather I will bask in that line between tanned and pallid until that last vestige of summer fades.  

Time to Write,

Jane



No comments:

Primavera Falso

I wrote this poem in the spring of 2019.  I remember it today as I wake up to the lightest dusting and cloudy skies.   Primavera Falso Green...