Friday, August 31, 2018

Guide for Hire

When a friend came to town from Santa Fe, I got to be a tourist in this state I've lived in on and off for almost forty years.  This time around Heloise and I explored Denver proper.  I am a member of Lighthouse Writers Workshop; this was a must!  There were a few classes going on, but we were still able to self-tour this stately mansion that houses all things literary.  A lending library that now has Heloise's book!  Volumes from all the visiting faculty for sale.  Room after room of comfy chairs to plop and write.  We lunched on the shady porch that faced east - the correct direction for afternoon coolness.

Lighthouse is just a few steps from Colfax Ave., the longest street in America.  The section that spans barely east of downtown has always been entertaining.  Colfax houses the Sie Film Center, Twist and Shout Records and the Tattered Cover all in one little bump-in from the road.  The Tattered Cover Bookstore is big and juicy for readers and writers.  Heloise and I were both impressed by the sheer amount of periodicals!

Instead of heading into Cherry Creek, where parking is tight and traffic is heavy, I brought Heloise over to Natural Grocers for her healthy snack stock-up.  I love this store.  When I lived on Third and Jackson in the early eighties I could walk to one of their original locations from our little bungalow. I had moved to Denver from New York and I had not experienced a store that sold hummus and bulk food and fresh herbs.  I was more accustomed to the A&P and Waldbaum's.   When my now-ex and I visited my parents in the lower Hudson Valley in that era, the guy working in produce at Waldbaum's shocked my Denver boyfriend! This green grocer had a Marlboro hanging out of his lips while stocking apples and cucumbers.  The ash precariously hung over the display. Finally it fell into the bin adding a little organic matter to the offerings!

We ended our day at a hipster coffee shop.  So many tattoos and man-buns.  Everyone on a device, looking down.  The most interesting gals were the two beauties in the Alice in Wonderland type chairs.  They were smiling and talking to each other, and we had a nice chat with them on our way out.  I would have liked a decaf iced tea, but none was available.  Maybe that is my age, but I can't energize at four in the afternoon.

I took Heloise back to her Airbnb - a very chic new build in the "Healthcare District".  I'm sure this block was home to regal Victorians just a short time ago.  Denver is BIG these days.  Density rules.  Parking is sparse.  Streets that are two-way can be tough to navigate with cars flanking the curbs.  In all fairness Heloise's block wasn't too crowded - but I know to look out for those infamous street sweeping warnings!

The next day we toured The Molly Brown House.  This was a real treat.  Our guide was knowledgeable and engaging.  The furnishings were to period.  And Ms. Brown - who never went by Molly was an interesting and respectable woman.  As with most tours we exited at the gift shop, located in the former carriage house.  For once I was happy for a shopping opportunity.  I found a great button to wear during the election season, a raffle item to give away when I facilitate a workshop for The Poetry Society of Colorado next year... but best of all I found a fabulous vintage themed gift for my daughter's birthday in October.  Score for a gal who struggles with picking presents and shopping aimlessly...

Next up was the Denver Art Museum for a drop in (and free!) writing workshop with Lighthouse.  Both Heloise and I enjoy ekphrastic prompts and we both got a good write.  I am happy to be a member of the museum, a small way for me to support the arts in my community.

So that is all the good of being a tour guide in the Queen City of the Plains.  The negative?  I won't dwell.  I'll just say that traffic is abysmal.  I live only 12 miles south of downtown Denver, but it is at least a half hour drive.  Wah, wah. Add construction and congestion into the mix and anything goes.  I know my way around, so I can make a turn and re-navigate myself with or without the aid of GPS.  However I was foiled a few times when I smartly turned just to see another road crew on my escape route!  Wah, wah.  Done.

Here's what I want you to know.  Denver has a lot to offer for visitors.  If you come, I'll be your tour guide.  I love showing people the quirky places that make the Mile High City unique and fun.  I am also really good at finding a spot where we can people watch, or absorb nature and write.

Time to Write,

Jane







No comments:

Primavera Falso

I wrote this poem in the spring of 2019.  I remember it today as I wake up to the lightest dusting and cloudy skies.   Primavera Falso Green...