Monday, June 11, 2018

Lying in Poetry


I have treated myself to a few Craft Workshops this week and last.  LitFest in Denver is a big deal, though it is my first time participating.  Maybe this is further proof (to myself) that I am considering myself a writer.  A writer.  When I think of all the jobs and positions I have held in my 40 or so years of working A Writer is the title that sound true.  Perhaps my life experiences were necessary to give me perspective and fodder.  I occasionally struggle to sit and commit.  When that happens I will often turn to my friend Heloise Jones' book The Writer's Block Myth.  I'll read a chapter at random or complete an exercise and voila!  I am refreshed and ready to write. 
Last week's workshops were "The Art of Confession" and "Lying in Poetry".  Do you see a pattern here?  Ha!  I am a confessional writer.  I write true life events from my purview and use my literary license to drive in a few embellishments and humor.  This little ditty came from the latter workshop.  I'd love to sit here and write more, but I am off to another workshop this afternoon.  Enjoy!

Sorry
The truth is I struggle to hear your work
I am only interested in my own stuff
All that sitting under tents, intense
Not for me, you jerk

I prefer to enjoy my own poetry
Read it aloud, alone to myself
Do I really care what you are trying to say
What you meant by a metaphor or the phrase of the day

Alas

The truth is I love to sit outside, under the blazing sun
Straining to hear your every rhyme
Blocking out the sirens, the horns
You are so damn interesting. Every time

I would prefer you to take me to your den
Whisper sweet sonnets into my ear
Tell me I am beautiful and that your poetry
Is only meant for me to hear




No comments:

Primavera Falso

I wrote this poem in the spring of 2019.  I remember it today as I wake up to the lightest dusting and cloudy skies.   Primavera Falso Green...