Thursday, March 15, 2018

Hell No!

Yesterday morning I joined about 60 other people to support the kids.  Our informal group was comprised mostly of grey-haired women.  There were a few men and some younger women, but it struck me that it was primarily a gaggle of grannies.  We weren't allowed on school property, and I totally respected this decision made by security.  We were directed to stand on a public sidewalk, by the big evergreen, where we were afforded a clear, but distant view of the kids.  Kids.

Kids.  I have to keep reminding myself that these are children who are taking their own safety concerns into their own hands.  Because we, as adults, have mortally failed them.  I keep reminding myself that when I was in high school I detested being dismissed by adults.  That I felt mature and composed enough to be heard.  These kids are certainly mature and composed.  And angry.  And scared.  And they need to be heard.

Some would argue that being in school for the day is where their asses need to be.  I say a real life civics lesson is always more valuable than rote instruction.  This was a very peaceful assembly.  Just a bunch of high schoolers marching out of school to stand in solidarity for a mere 17 minutes of their lives. For their lives.  I'm sure whatever they missed in AP Bio or Algebra wouldn't affect the rest of their days.  But I'm pretty sure that standing up gave them a voice and confidence that will somehow translate to a life skill.  Public speaking perhaps, or even learning to set a boundary.  Real stuff.  Important stuff.

Do we believe that lists are made in importance of order?  I do.  Ergo, I find it quite interesting that those who want to protect the second amendment to their dying breath also want these kids to not exercise the first amendment.  The right to assemble peaceably.  Wow.  Is there any harm in a swarm of kids saying: Enough.  Enough.  

First Amendment


Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
I find it quite interesting that the top of the list of The Bill of Rights is our right to assemble and petition the government to redress grievances.  That is the #1 amendment.  In my view number one means it was the most important to our founding fathers.  I also like to point out that when the Bill of Rights was ratified in 1791 the firearm of choice was not an AR15.  I'm pretty sure if these founding fathers were alive today they'd address this situation in a heartbeat.  Those guys didn't dally.  They took action as if the sovereignty of our country depended on it.  Because it did.

Back to the kids.  There are many rumors circulating that the teenage protesters and spokespeople are paid actors.  No, it is our president who is a paid reality star, and a bad one at that.  That kids who eat tide pods cannot possibly make rational decisions.  We all know kids do stupid things -  remember the goldfish fad? - that doesn't make their concerns any less valid.  That children should be seen and not heard.  If that were true we'd probably still be floundering in Vietnam.

I could have stayed home yesterday and not been present.  But I felt my presence was needed, and apparently so did 60 other community members.  Many of the ladies I spoke to were retired educators.  From Littleton, JeffCo, Cherry Creek and even Savannah, Ga.  A couple of women were Arapahoe High School alumni, showing support to their alma maters new generation.  I was kind of the odd woman out.  No kids in school.  New to this community.  Not an educator.  Just a very concerned, worried everyday citizen.  Who also thinks ENOUGH!

Enough children dead.  Enough opportunities for a do-nothing congress to sit their asses in a chair and do something.  Enough people, both seemingly normal and mentally unstable having easy access to firearms.  Enough grieving parents.  Enough prayers and thoughts.  That hasn't really affected anything, has it?  In God we trust, in apathy we rest.


Do I have the answer?  No.  I like what my cousin says.  Everyone is right and everyone is wrong.  A mindset like this could open the floodgates of meaningful conversation.  Notice I didn't say debate.  I'm tired of the back and forth.  The childish name calling.  The us versus them mentality.

It is our job, our responsibility and our moral calling to cherish babies over bullets.  Children over the NRA.  I hope that this momentum gains even more strength as the days unfold.  That these young, articulate, passionate humans change some minds and some laws.  I support you kids!  Don't let the naysayers discourage your efforts.  Be present.  Be heard.  Voices today.  Voters tomorrow.

Time to Write,

Jane



No comments:

Primavera Falso

I wrote this poem in the spring of 2019.  I remember it today as I wake up to the lightest dusting and cloudy skies.   Primavera Falso Green...