Saturday, January 27, 2018

Ripped From the Headlines

There is no magical number
To ease heartache, suffering
400 miles of I25 cannot separate me
From the pain and the tears

Geography is not able to cure
The deep sadness, my simmering rage
Another day.  Another death.  Another deputy.

How many moms, how many times
Do we text our own LEO*
"Stay safe.  I love you"
The oddest relief to know
He's not on duty, he's in a class

My own son is not participating in a manhunt
But his guard will forever be up
All eyes will always be open, including his ajna
On duty, in daylight

At night he will sleep with only one eye shut
Replaying the day, overjoyed to be home
Keeping his wife and little one safe
From the horrors of his quotidian quotients

He will learn to look through those eyes
With the lens of danger, crime
Drugs, alcohol fueled frenzies
Senseless death

This job will scar him in ways
A mother should never know
Reality will take the sweet little man of yesterday
My boy who never played with toy guns
And turn his heart a bit cold, stony. Yet
The true nature of his compassion will
Not be lost to me

His Cop Mom

*LEO - Law Enforcement Officer


No comments:

Primavera Falso

I wrote this poem in the spring of 2019.  I remember it today as I wake up to the lightest dusting and cloudy skies.   Primavera Falso Green...