Friday, December 29, 2017

After New Years

Just a couple of days after New Years Day and I'll be Santa Fe bound.  I have no plans for the ringing in of 2018.  New Year's Eve is a holiday I have successfully avoided most of my adult tenure.  I don't imbibe, and being odd (wo)man out on a heavily alcohol fueled evening is not my idea of a celebration.

When I lived in Colorado Springs, the family would enjoy watching the small, vibrant fireworks over Pikes Peak each New Year's midnight.   There is a storied history of the men and the club who brave cold wintry conditions to set off a pyrotechnic display.  The Adaman Club has added it's 100th member this season.  This tradition is one of only a few things I miss about living in Southern Colorado.

This time of year also has me thinking of resolutions.  I like to think of that word in two parts RE - Solutions.  It reminds me that I already know what I need to do to make my life easier and more pleasant.  I just need to RE-member, RE-commit.  The solutions, mantras really, are close to my heart; they are not profound.  Be kind to myself and others.  Keep the focus on myself.  Let others live their lives how they wish, so I may live mine as I please.

Do I do this perfectly?  Heck no!  Progress, not perfection.  I frequently need to remind myself that my children are grown, and I had my chance to impart all the wisdom, manners, and decision making skills to them as youngsters.  What they say, think and do now is on them.  Adults!!  Often this means a bit of tongue biting.  Other times it means watching them thrive or fail as a result of their decisions. Sometimes it is painful to bear witness to young adult lifestyle choices.  And sometimes it is very rewarding.

There is a rumor that today will be balmy and pleasant.  A good day for a year-end head clearing hike.

Time to Write!

Jane

No comments:

Primavera Falso

I wrote this poem in the spring of 2019.  I remember it today as I wake up to the lightest dusting and cloudy skies.   Primavera Falso Green...