Thursday, November 8, 2018

Ballots and Bullets

I voted on Tuesday.  Actually it was Monday night, via a drive-by collection box.  My county of residence sent an "I voted" sticker with my ballot and it is somewhere in the bottom of my purse.  I did intend to don it, but I forgot.  Maybe people who don't vote should be the ones to wear stickers.  They could say things like "I don't care" or "Who gives a shit?".

I do care and I do give a shit.  And even though it is just one vote, it is important enough for me to take the time to wade through the voluminous ballot, discuss the initiatives with someone else, read the accompanying  booklets and frankly hope for the best.

Colorado now has a gay governor who introduced his partner as the "First Man of Colorado".  That's worth noting in a state that passed Amendment 2 back in 1992.  Even Barbra Streisand spoke out against it way back then, encouraging fellow Hollywoodians to boycott Aspen in protest.  It must have been important if she spoke out!  Sarcasm, here.

Jared Polis is also Jewish.  I'm personally hopeful this will be positive for Colorado.  The state I have called home - on and off for almost 40 years - has a history of prejudice.  Lynchings, an active KKK back in the day and perhaps even now. Polis's opponent, Walker Stapleton's grandfather was a hood carrying member in the 1920's during his five term stint as mayor of Denver.  But hey, that's crosses under the bridge.

I'm happy Congress will be decked out in blue.  I feel my health care is safer.  Not perfect, but as a person with a serious pre-existing condition I feared the red tide of stripping protections.  I try not to think about Medicare and Social Security.  It is my head in the sand moment.  I just hold out that when I am eligible, it will still be available.  But really, who knows?

I listened in full to the president's press conference yesterday.  Ironic to tune in while in Boulder and turn off in Arapahoe county.  45 was like a street thug, itching for a fight.  So what if he wears a designer suit?  Pedantic and uninformed, in my humble opinion.  I was impressed to learn how every world leader congratulates him FIRST THING when they meet.  I can only imagine the real words - loosely translated.  "Mr. President - a warm congratulations on bamboozling the American people into voting for you.  We did not realize how many stupid people live in the worlds (formerly) most powerful country."

Time to step off my soapbox and ponder another mass shooting.  They come rapid fire these days.  I am hardly through processing Pittsburgh, Kentucky, Parkland, Vegas and Orlando.  Now I add Thousand Oaks to my list of sad cities.  I have lived in places where events have caused collective community grief.  I lived in JeffCo during Columbine.  Colorado during the Aurora shooting.  A niece on my ex's side was in the theater next to the tragically picked shooting gallery.  I had never received a group text before.  "My kids are safe".  I was confused.  Clarity came all to quickly.

Every time I clear my head.  Every time I pray for the victims and the families.  Every time I hear the political rhetoric of don't politicize these events.  Every time I cry.  Every time I wonder...  Did my vote count?  Will there be change in our perceptions?  Our values of human life v make my day?  Time to turn the dial to music.  The 24 hour news cycle is not good for our mental health.  If you hear crazy voices in your head?  Turn off FOX.  (and the others)

Time to Write,

Jane




No comments:

Primavera Falso

I wrote this poem in the spring of 2019.  I remember it today as I wake up to the lightest dusting and cloudy skies.   Primavera Falso Green...