Friday, October 19, 2018

Platt Park on an October Afternoon


Platt Park on an October Afternoon



Scanning the expansive green of the park

Spying an empty bench with a warm

Ray of sunlight across the brown metal slats



Two little girls in pink tutu’s

On scooters, helmets with plumage

Toddler flamingoes gliding across the concrete sea



Near the edge, young adults in sleeping bags

Uncamouflaged lifeless mounds

Haystacks of homelessness



Lunching on Brussels sprouts with lemon aioli

Roasted golden yams under a brittle blue sky

My mind wanders, my eyes dart



Between the fuchsia flamingoes and the wingless wanton

How can just a few short years separate

Brilliant flightless birds from those with clipped wings?


No comments:

Primavera Falso

I wrote this poem in the spring of 2019.  I remember it today as I wake up to the lightest dusting and cloudy skies.   Primavera Falso Green...