Friday, April 6, 2018

That Sexy Muse

April is National Poetry Month and I am signed up for three poetry workshops.  Do I hope to create a masterpiece?  Not exactly, though if that were the finished product, I would not object. Oftentimes the process is more satisfying than the end piece.  I like to keep my creative synapsis firing. Writers are always comparing what motivates them to sit and write.  We refer to it in mundane terms like willpower and dedication.  Sexy words like invoking the muse. Nouns like source, inspiration, mojo. Whatever I call 'it', it is needed to keep me going.  Even when I'm tired.  Even though I don't feel like writing.  Even if some other activity is calling.

For me, workshops are one way to help me write.  There is a bit of structure, the commitment of showing up, and the actual act of putting pen to paper in a group of like focused individuals.  I learn about forms, techniques, history of poetry or about poets themselves.  If we are learning about Rumi, then we practice writing a ghazal.  When the subject was William Carlos Williams, we wrote sparsely to emulate his approach.  These kinds of practices help me to develop my own style.  Kind of like following a recipe once and then winging it the next time.  Still delicious, just different.

Some workshops have me yawning - do I really need to punctuate my work?  Interesting presentations have me on the edge of my seat, ready to write.  Handouts can be helpful and are great to refer back to in dry times.  Handouts can also be good filler for the recycling bin.  It all depends.

I try to be organized and always bring the same notebook to poetry, a different one to a prompt group, reserve another for memoir.  But I get muddled, and mix them up so all the books have all the genres. Oh well - it makes editing fun and is an incredible time waster when I am searching for something specific.  And that is OK too, because the act of page turning and revisiting my words has led to some great rewrites.  Little ditties that might have otherwise been over looked or buried.

Last month my muse was writing and performing my own piece to honor World Storytelling Day.  This entailed writing a fifteen minute monologue, memorizing it and then speaking it on the big stage.  Just kidding!  It was a little stage in a tiny theater.  There were six storytellers in all and if you want to know more about this adventure here is the link: Exit Stage Left.  The downside of this experience was that it took away from my writing time and head space.  I couldn't clutter my brain with words other than those I needed to commit to memory.  And truthfully, after a while, even I tired of reading the same words (my words!) over and over.

This month I was hoping to partake in a four week art exploration class.  It was billed as trying a different medium or two each week.  My thought was that this would just be a great way to keep my inventive appetite fed with a new kind of nourishment.  The class was cancelled due to lack of participation.  Now I could let this get me in a tizzy, but I won't.  I take it as a sign from the Universe to move on and try something else.  I don't know what that is, but I trust an opportunity will present itself to me.  My job is to keep an open mind and be observant.

So three poetry workshops this month and two ekphrastic writing sessions.  One session is at the American Museum of Western Art and the other is at the DAM.  Denver Art Museum.  I'm new to this kind of impetus for writing, but art calls to me and does motivate me to express, so I'm happy to give it a go.  I am also signed up for a Friday 500 at Lighthouse Writers.   I've procrastinated joining this group long enough and finally signed a check for a year's membership.  If I am to be a writer, I need to support writing.  Not just bankroll authors by buying books, or fellow poets by attending open mics and snapping my fingers.

Reading is a wonderful nudge to get me in a wordy, nerdy mood.  Unfortunately my electronic devices have taken away some of my reading time, and I find the competition between Words with Friends or a novel to be a constant battle.  This is all in my head, my control.  I have no one to blame for lack of reading time or effort but myself.  It feels good to write that out and admit to it.  Next step - change!

Taking a walk, listening to people's conversations (a/k/a eavesdropping), billboards, NPR, music, cloud watching, hanging with my grandson...  these are all sources for me.  Time suckers include watching TV, too many phone conversations and naps.  Life is about balance though, and if my hands were glued to my keys I'd be bored.  And boring.

Another way to keep writing is to enter contests.  Deadline driven, theme and form defined.  I only enter occasionally and mostly locally.  Some cost money.  Some have prizes.  External motivation only faintly resonates with me.  I like to write for me.  My therapy,  My catharsis.  And in that endeavor, if my reader (that's you!) can relate to my words I am pleased.  I want my poetry and prose to make you feel something.  Anything.  That's why I write.

Time to Write More!

Jane


No comments:

Primavera Falso

I wrote this poem in the spring of 2019.  I remember it today as I wake up to the lightest dusting and cloudy skies.   Primavera Falso Green...