Monday, April 30, 2018

Musical Chairs and Ma Griffe

I am sitting in the church.  The chairs have been arranged catawampus, not the straight rows facing front for a service.  I have positioned myself next to a beautiful woman with a violin.  On my other side is a man, the husband of the violinist perched next to him.  The conductor is no more than 10 feet in front of me on a small podium.  The rest of the orchestra is sprinkled throughout the concertgoers.  Strings are in my row and the semi-circle in front.  Woodwinds are behind me to the right.  Percussion is in the last row to the left of the conductor, with quite a few rows between them and the  maestro.  Brass is on the other side of the conductor lending balance to the configuration.

I have never sat like this for a concert.  The usually tuxedoed and dressy musicians are casual and seemingly relaxed. They are joking amongst themselves and talking to me and other patrons about the seating arrangements, their instruments, and the immersive experience we are all about to enjoy.  The gal next to me smiles as a little girl, her daughter, runs up to her and gives her a big hug.  She has never seen mommy play in a concert.  This is a big deal all around.

The conductor has a few instructions and words for the audience and his baton is raised and the music begins. I am childlike in my wonder.  I am sitting right next to a musician, watching her make music.  Sound is all around me.  I am ensconced in Sleepers Awake! by Johann Sebastian Bach. Unlike a traditional performance where all the sound is from the front and sort of blaring its way back to me, or up to me, this is surround sound in all of its glory.

Next up is Spring Song by Jean Sibelius.  But these two short pieces are only the warm-up for what is to come.  Conductor David Rutherford of the Stratus Chamber Orchestra has already let us know that the season's theme was Dreams, and this final weekend was Awakening.   Here is a bit about the maestro from the website:

David’s vision and ideals of an immersive experience for audience and orchestra within a performance are changing the performance landscape not only in Colorado, but in Europe as well. In the summer of 2017, David led Stratus in a tour of the Czech Republic, where they shared the immersive and inclusive experience with Czech audiences to great delight and acclaim. As a result, the immersive experience will be shared in other places abroad, as far as Calcutta and Australia. An immersive series of concerts is currently being planned in the Czech Republic.
While there, David met Jessamie Kaitler, a young composer from Australia.  Our next piece of music would be a four part movement composed by Jessamie specifically for The Stratus Chamber Orchestra to debut at this concert.  This composed, articulate, energetic composer was in attendance and spoke a few words before her world premiere of Awakenings.

The movements were named:
  1. Unfold - A soothing calming introduction
  2. Unlock - Moving from light to dark, to provoke distant memories
  3. Let Go - Return to a meditative state of calm.  Letting go of worries and connecting to breath
  4. Awaken - Connect with our primal, innate musical device (voice) and join those surrounding you
I listened the first time through wide -eyed and interested.  My body and my breath told me this is a special circumstance.  A world premier that had research and science behind the music.  As an audience we provided a three-note vocal accompaniment to the orchestra.  The conductor's instruction was always evident - I knew just when to vocalize.  It was beautiful.  Also interspersed in this symphony were electronic dimensions.  Birds singing.  Breath.  Even the composers own heartbeat.  As a poet I am obsessed with inserting myself into my work.  Jessamie Kaitler placed her personal pulsation into this piece.  I am in awe!  

Conductor David Rutherford waited for our applause to recede and then spoke of days gone by when people knew that the piece they were hearing could be the only time they would have the opportunity.  No iPods, cassette tapes, radios.  Live orchestra was it, and the way to hear it again - in live instant replay - was to enthusiastically applaud the musicians into a repeat performance.  So we did.  After a rousing cacophony of clapping we were treated to another go-round of the world premiere!

This time, I sat upright at the edge of my chair in a seated meditative position.  I placed my hands, palms down on the meaty part of my thighs.  I closed my eyes and really let my body and my soul be washed by the waves, the sound, the experience.  Intuitively, I knew when to vocalize.  No direction from the podium was needed this time through.  I was feeling very blissful.  Then I started sniffing the air.  It was sweet and subtly perfumy.  Ah...  I was smelling my mother's perfume,  Ma Griffe.  I knew that no one had come in during the performance and sat near me with this fragrance on, and I hadn't changed my seat since coming in.  I was surrounded by all the same folks as ten minutes ago.  How is it possible I was whiffing my mother's scent - my mom who has been gone for 20+ years?  Was my mind playing tricks on me?  My logical self resisted the urge to pop my eyes open to see what was going on.  My spiritual self relaxed and knew that something in the recesses of my mind was indeed awakened.  I felt peace and love and joy in those moments.

I had the opportunity to speak briefly with Jessamie at intermission.  I did not share my experience, because truly this night was about her.  Also - I needed some time to process what has just happened. If Jessamie's goal was to Awaken, provoke a distant memory in me - then she had succeeded.  I left the concert with an overall feeling of calm.

If ever you see the words "immersive seating" describing a performance - GO!  For me this concert has awakened a new sense of immersion.  Immersing myself into my work, both laboriously and through my own words and sense of style.  I am motivated to find my heartbeat.  I yearn to place my pulse in my poetry

Time to Write,

Jane

I bought this gift set many times for my Mom over the years... 


No comments:

Primavera Falso

I wrote this poem in the spring of 2019.  I remember it today as I wake up to the lightest dusting and cloudy skies.   Primavera Falso Green...