Saturday, February 17, 2018

My People Were Potato People




My people were potato people

Doughy peasants who stooped

To plant, then pick, potatoes



Resourceful to eat the lowly tuber

Boiled into thin soup

Day after day as sustenance



Over time, my people

Came to resemble their life source

Lumpy bodies sheathed in brown muslin



Polish women in babushkas

Held potatoes defiantly in their hands

A small sharp knife making swift cuts



Once I dreamed of Nana’s latke recipe

And that winter morning made

Perfect potato pancakes



Potato people are bygone

No longer hunched in fields

Filled with suspicious eyes

No comments:

Primavera Falso

I wrote this poem in the spring of 2019.  I remember it today as I wake up to the lightest dusting and cloudy skies.   Primavera Falso Green...