Thursday, January 18, 2018

Desert Waves


Ten Thousand Waves is just ten minutes and twenty-six bucks away from the Casita.  A short drive up Artists Rd. and I arrive at a peaceful Japanese style spa, restaurant and lodging complex, nestled in the northern foothills of Santa Fe. 

Everything one could imagine is provided for you at this soaking haven.  Towels?  Yes!  Shampoo, conditioner and lotion?  Absolutely.  A robe and rubber slippers?  Of course.  Not knowing this, I brought all of the above and more!  I was able to off-load some of my unneeded necessities and travel a bit lighter throughout the spa.  Having my own fluffy, thicker robe was a bonus to the thin cotton wraps that Ten Thousand Waves provides.  The temperature was only in the forties yesterday and when one emerges from a 108 degree tub a soft, fuzzy robe feels great. 

This spa offers so much, it is almost hard to take it all in. I may return for a massage or facial but yesterday was a day for me to soak. I also enjoyed the sauna and sunshine on one of many Adirondack deck chairs.  I started at the women's communal tub, small and intimate.  This area is clothing optional, and I always opt for au natural when available.  I camped out on a chair for quite a bit, writing, and reading.  So cliché of me, but I admit the magazine I brought with me was Yoga Journal...

There is a magic to winter sunbathing in the sun-drenched southwest.  In summer people flock to pools and beaches, lie out until they are so hot they cannot stand it, and jump into cold water to refresh.  This kind of sunbathing is a bit different.  I lie out with my robe under me, so the plastic chair is not too cold against my backside, and let the sun warm my skin.  But it is only warm, and the cool breeze can be downright bone chilling at times.  Instead of plunging into cold water, we westerners ease ourselves into tubs or hot springs that range from 102 to 112 degrees.  Sometimes, like yesterday, I am only wearing a wooly hat to keep my head warm. 

Colorado has many places to enjoy this winter activity.  When I lived in Colorado Springs, I had a favorite place just an hour away; a mini retreat in less than 60 minutes of driving?  I'm in!  Next week I am planning to trek to Ojo Caliente near Taos.  Spending a month in Santa Fe allows me to leisurely explore, and I'll do what I can.  And leave the rest. 

Three women appear and they each look familiar.  I can't place if I really know them, or have seen them around town, or just have a healthy imagination.  Since this is a quiet zone, and we are all naked, I don't approach.  I resist the urge to be my out-going gregarious self.  After all I came to Santa Fe for some quietude, so no need to chat to every human I see.

I observe the day sky and sense that sunshine is going to disappear behind some large, leafless trees.  I take a long last soak in the women's only area, and bee-line straight into the sauna.  HOT!  But placid with natural light coming in, and so very clean.  (This entire place is immaculate) I collect my bag of paper materials - pads and a book and a mag - and head to the locker area.  Lockers are provided, I just need to remember the 4-digit code I used.  I grab the salad and fruit I packed and meander out to the koi pond in just my robe and slippers, find an ergonomically correct wooden slat chaise and refuel a bit before heading to the coed Grand Tub.  

Now this Grand Tub is bottoms required, tops optional.  Decisions, decisions...  I put on my boy short bottom and head up the steps to the Grand Tub.  Again, I find a deck chair to camp out on, and I cool off a bit in the waning light before reclining in the healing waters.  The temp seems a bit lower than the women's tub and that is great because I can stay in longer and get a good slathering of minerals onto my skin.  People do chat in this pool, and I converse briefly with some younger hipsters.  Man buns, piercings and tattoos abound.

Once I tried to have an additional piercing in my right ear.  My daughter Andrea and I did it together on her 17th birthday, after taking the Love, Peace and Yoga Express to the top of Pikes Peak to participate in the "World’s Highest Yogic Spiral."  And the coldest.  Did I mention it was cold?  I am not exaggerating (OK, maybe a bit) when I tell you that on that early October day it was almost 70 degrees in the parking lot in Manitou and about 5 degrees when we exited the cog at 14,110 ft. above sea level.  That piercing never healed, and I removed it.  Occasionally I entertain the idea of a tattoo, but I don't want to have pain inflicted upon me, and a hepatologist has cautioned me that having RA and tattoos don't mix.  So, I admire the skin as canvas art on others, including my two daughters.

The familiar trio of women reappear and sit very near me in the tub.  We converse and figure out that they also were at the NIA weekend at StudioNia Santa Fe.  Two of these ladies are teachers in Boulder.  There is a chance I have, or I will dance with them again.  Such is the way of NIA.  Two ladies are leaving town tomorrow, but the third is staying to teach and hang out in Santa Fe.  Tomorrow I will take her class and then we are going to explore Tent Rocks together.  I am thrilled to have a hiking buddy.  As brave as I am to travel alone, I am never that happy to be in the wilderness by my lonesome.  

I'm coming to the end of my time in the tub.  My skin is pruning and how much relaxation can I endure?  I take a shower and utilize the Yuzu based  products available in the locker room.  I also check out the Japanese style toilet.  First, the seat is warm - how nice is that?  There are controls to my left on the stall wall that inform me I can gently or vigorously cleanse my 'rear' or 'front'.  I can also air dry my privates before pulling up my panties.  If bathrooms were like this everywhere it would take people about five minutes each just to pee!  I looked up the cost of this kind of toilet because I would rally love to have one installed.  If I had a house to install one in that is.

Dressed, refreshed and ready for my final stop at this glorious spa - The Relaxation Room.  It is in a glass walled building with a high vaulted ceiling.  Shoes off, I slide the door open quietly and join about eight other people.  I spy an empty slot, lay on a bamboo mat, cover myself with a blanket, don a pair of headphones and lay down for what I can only call the Japanese version of savasana.  Spa style Asian music plays, I close my eyes, and I relax.  I have no idea how long I stayed in this space.  I just allowed myself to settle in, breath and let go...

Finally, I collect my belongings from the locker, and consider heading back down the hill to the casita. I bow my gratitude for this wonderful experience - and exit through the gift shop!

Time to Write,

Jane









No comments:

Primavera Falso

I wrote this poem in the spring of 2019.  I remember it today as I wake up to the lightest dusting and cloudy skies.   Primavera Falso Green...