Thursday, December 21, 2017

Now and Then


Jane Hillson Aiello


Now and Then


My friend’s mother does not know it is Friday
Her heart beats strong
But her mind is frail, fragile
Her aging body has outlasted her senses


My own mother no longer breathes
Her heart gave out
But her mind was quick, quirky
Her ailing body betrayed her, senselessly


My friend’s mother is difficult
He implores her to remember
Patience is thin and taut


My own mother is naught
I ache to be short with her
Scold her with pleasure


My friend’s mother wants to die
She languishes because he
Has not released her


My own mother is cold in the earth
Shovels full of dirt delivered
Hard sad noises upon her pine box

No comments:

Primavera Falso

I wrote this poem in the spring of 2019.  I remember it today as I wake up to the lightest dusting and cloudy skies.   Primavera Falso Green...